Spain recovers more than half of passengers from pre-pandemic international airports in September – Eurasia Review

0

Spain received five million passengers from international airports in September, more than half of arrivals in September 2019 (9.7 million) and an increase of 437% compared to the same month in 2020, according to data from Turespaña .

Since the start of the year, the volume of arrivals has reached 20.7 million passengers, 12.7% more than in 2020.

For the Minister of Industry, Trade and Tourism, Reyes Maroto, these data “reflect that we are going in the right direction and that the recovery of the Spanish tourism sector is solid, consolidating itself month by month with the official data that we obtain ” .

For the Minister of Tourism, the increase in arrivals from the main countries of origin shows that “Spain is perceived as a safe and quality destination where you can enjoy a few days of rest. And this was made possible thanks to the good pace achieved in the vaccination process, which provided certainty to international travelers, as well as the use of the EU’s COVID digital certificate, which made it easier to travel within the country. ‘EU, as well as the efforts of our tourism sector and the success of the promotional campaign deployed by Turespaña and our offices abroad to strengthen the positioning of our country as the number one holiday destination, ”said Maroto.

Of the total number of international passengers who traveled to Spain in September, the majority (59.8%) traveled on a low-cost airline, while the remaining 40.2% opted for traditional airlines.

In September, all major source countries increased

The increase in the number of international passengers was recorded in all major countries of origin, with Germany (18.5% and 934,338 people) as the largest market, registering an increase of 688% year on year, with arrivals mainly in the Balearics and the Canary Islands. .

Passenger arrivals from UK airports (17.3%) remain in second place with an increase of 387% compared to the same month in 2020, reaching 877,108 people.

The third source country for international passengers was Italy, with 428,661 passengers whose main destinations were Catalonia and Madrid. Followed by France (394,856) and the Netherlands (379,636) which is the country with the highest degree of recovery (85%) compared to pre-pandemic data, September 2019.

Main destination Autonomous communities

The Balearic Islands were the main autonomous destination community in September (23.2% and 1,176,055 passengers), accumulating 24.7% of international passenger arrivals so far this year, which now exceeds five million passengers.

It is followed by the Community of Madrid (19% and 959,706 passengers), Catalonia (18% and 908,572), Andalusia (13.6% and 689,937), the Canary Islands (12.1% and 613 951) and the Valencian Community (11.8% and 597,870).

By airports, Adolfo Suárez Madrid Barajas received the highest volume of international passengers (19% of the total), followed by Palma de Mallorca (17.1%), Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat (16.9%), Malaga ( 11.3%), Alicante (8%), Ibiza (4.9%), Tenerife South (4.7%), Valencia (3.8%), Gran Canaria (3%) and Fuerteventura (2.2% ).


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.